I was raised in Yorkshire but am now rooted on the edge of the Peak District in Derbyshire. I spent 25 years running a couple of startups in the digital learning world but in 2017 I broke free to pursue my lifelong passion for fine art. I’m now exploring new avenues of creative expression and reaching new audiences.
As an artist, I draw, paint, photograph and create installations but I employ my digital skills when technology will enhance an outcome. I find much of my inspiration in the wilderness of nature and I’m passionate about maintaining biodiversity for the benefit of the human condition. My CV gives my full background.
Our increasing disconnect with natural wonder is desperately concerning. We seem to seek comfort and control in an arms race that shields us from the chaos of mother nature. In my work I want to be the unpredictable insect living in the shadows of the flat pack lounge. The one that liberates us from the dust of everyday life by portraying the hard things we hide from in a sublime way.
I deconstruct order and mesh it with nature to create a new kaleidoscope on the human condition. Some of my subjects are beautiful and others less so but humour is often my secret weapon to open a door to new perspectives.
I use many media, from mark making to photography and 3D installation but in all of them I aim to strip away complexity to reveal simplicity. In essence I try to say things that mere words cannot explain.
What drives me forwards is a belief that we have become too comfortable so I’m with Banksy in believing that “Art should comfort the disturbed and disturb the comfortable.”
Exhibitions & Competitions
- 2020 Selected artist | Bassetlaw Open Art Exhibition
- 2020 Artist of the month (May) | DARK YELLOW DOT
- 2020 Shortlisted artist | 2020 Vision: 100 years of justice exhibition, Magistrates Association
- 2020 Justice: restraint/constraint | National Justice Museum, Nottingham
- 2020 Selected artist | Ferens Open Exhibition, Hull
- 2019 Selected photographer | Living Photography Exhibition, Leeds
- 2019 Selected artist | THiNK Summer Open Exhibition, Nottingham
- 2019 Selected photographer | URBAN 2019 Photo Awards
- 2019 Selected artist | Wirksworth Art Trail, Derbyshire
- 2019 Raised Beds project | Djanogly Art Gallery, Nottingham
- 2018 Selected artist | Wirksworth Art Trail, Derbyshire
- 2017 Final Show | Nottingham College, Nottingham
- 2020 Commissioned drawing | Nottingham College
- 2019 Commissioned artwork | Private collector
- 2018 Commissioned drawing | Nottingham College